40th Session of the World Heritage Committee
WORLD HERITAGE YOUTH FORUM 2016
At the Crossroads of Multi-Layered Heritage
29 June – 12 July 2016
As part of the 40th session of the World Heritage Committee and in the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Education Programme, the Turkish National Commission for UNESCO and the Istanbul Site Management Directorate are holding the World Heritage Youth Forum 2016: “At the Crossroads of Multi-Layered Heritage”. It benefits from the financial support of the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality.
The aim of the Forum is to deepen youth knowledge and understanding the importance of:
- the implementation of the World Heritage Convention,
- the working methods of the World Heritage Committee,
- the challenges and opportunities of the protection of multi-layered World Heritage
Dates: 29 June – 12 July 2016, prior to the 40th session of the World Heritage Committee
Venue: The World Heritage Site of the Historic Areas of Istanbul, the Historic Peninsula and
the entirety of the Golden Horn (Haliç)
Working language: English
Young people from all over the world, aged between 22 and 28 years old, who are interested in heritage will be provided the opportunity to exchange ideas, broaden their outlook and contribute to the discussions and immerse themselves in topics such as urban life and its culture, natural landscape, importance and protection of constructions and the silhouette of the city within the scope of multi-layered heritage.
Scheduled activities include:
- visits to World Heritage sites, including Bursa and Cumalıkızık, with the international heritage experts,
- workshops on different aspects emerging from the multi-layered sites,
- practical hands-on activities with timber and stone work for the protection and the maintenance of the World Heritage sites in Istanbul,
- experts and young delegates presentations,
- participation in the discussions on the state of conservation of properties,
- practicing the Youth Model simulation with the scenario on the evaluation of Iznik’s nomination for the World Heritage List which is a multi-layered settlement inscribed on the Tentative List of Turkey,
- drawing up the final document of the Forum for presentation during the Opening Ceremony of the 40th World Heritage Committee,
- attendance to the first session of the 40th World Heritage Committee.
The Turkish National Commission for UNESCO and the Istanbul Site Management Directorate are pleased to invite young people interested in topics related to World Heritage who are:
- Aged from 22 to 28
- Fluent in English (Please note: No interpretation will be The programme will take place in English only)
- Citizens of one of the 21 Member States of the current World Heritage Committee (Angola, Azerbaijan, Burkina Faso, Croatia, Cuba, Finland, Indonesia, Jamaica, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Tunisia, Turkey, United Republic of Tanzania, Viet Nam, Zimbabwe) and Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Pakistan, Palestine, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Qatar
- Involved in heritage-related fields such as; World Heritage Studies (Landscape), Architecture, Urban Planning, Constructional Engineering, Archaeology, Sociology, Intangible Cultural Heritage, Anthropology, Ethnology, Ethnography, Economy, History, Art History, Communication, Law, Tourism, Natural and Cultural Heritage, Geography, International Relations
- Motivated, active and driven individuals interested to implement the outcomes of the Forum in their respective countries
Successful applicants will be informed by 15 April 2016 at the latest.
For more information, please visit here